Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Friday, January 16, 2009

Excuse me officer

Wednesday after I got kneed in the face by a small child, my friend Krystal and I were on a mission to find my white scrub top for my graduation pictures. The one I am wearing in the pictures below wasn't actually the one I purchased on Wednesday night. Well back to my story... Krystal and I went to 2 scrub stores but they had both closed at 6pm and we showed up at 5:55. I know I am a procrastinator but I didn't think it would be nearly impossible to find a white scrub top. We went to both Walmarts, TJmax, both Beals Outlets, Khoals.. well let's just say it was close to a 3 hour mission. Somewhere in between maybe the the 3rd and 4th store we were driving from Newberry Rd to Archer via I-75. I noticed when we were getting off of I-75 that there was a police car behind me, not that I had anything to worry about. I wasn't speeding on the interstate. In fact I was going almost 5 under because I was driving in the slow lane and there was some old lady in front of me that I didn't feel like passing. Well, as we were sitting at the light to turn onto Archer I told Krystal I had a feeling that the cop was going to pull me over. She was confused because she didn't think I did anything illegal either. Sure enough, as we were driving I notice the cop getting pretty close to my car.. he was reading my license plate. With in seconds he turned on his lights. Krystal told me to get over so he could pass me. When I got over into one of the turn lanes he followed me. OH BOY. We pulled into the parking lot by Ross and the At&t store, right by the 4-way stop. He got on his loud speaker and said, "Come out of your car with your hands up and your license in your hand!" WHAT THE CRAP!!? What did I do? I was for sure he had me mistaken for someone else! I didn't steal the car, I own it! I didn't kill anyone and as far as I knew I hadn't done anything illegal. Every other time I've been pulled over I've never been told to get out of the car, so I was a little worried. I did as he said and walked over to him and handed him my license and said, "Excuse me officer, can you tell me what I've done wrong?" He took my license and called into someone over the radio and asked me to confirm my address and information on my license. He then told me that I had been driving with an expired tag for 3 months. At this point I almost peed my pants with embarrassment and laughter. I didn't know how else to react. He was definitely confused. I had my new license plate inside my car since October and forgot to put it on. If you know me, my idea of cleaning out my car is to throw everything in the trunk to make room for people to sit. Well, that's what happened to my license plate. It was thrown in the back along with everything else that I own. I told him that I had it and he asked me to fetch it for him. At this point I told him it could be a minute or two and told Krystal to get out of the car to help me look. We dug for about 5 minutes pulling out random objects like a wig, prom dress, sleeping bag, books and backpacks, gallons of paint, shoes, movies, boxes that I never moved in from when I moved into my new apartment...A lot of the stuff I have in there is from when I was still a young life leader 2 years ago. Yeah, so the cop starts chuckling and asks if we need help and if I was sure it was in there. I was 100% sure it was! He got his huge police flashlight because it was about 8:30 at night and started helping us dig and pull things out onto the road. We had many cars stop to look. Krystal said it looked like we were two white girls getting drug searched. Eventually we found the plate still in the package it came in when I got it in the mail. The cop put it on my car and didn't give me the 96$ ticket. He left me with some words of wisdom, "This will give you motivation to keep your trunk clean, have a good night."

4 comments:

LuraLynn said...

You don't know me, but I love your blog. I'm Patrick and Alyson's friend from ND. I can so relate to the living in your car syndrome. I've hauled around a lot of s()*)*&^ for a lot of years. I wonder if there's a self help program for car living.

Thanks for the laughs. I need a bedpan handy whenever I read your blog.

Alan & Tina said...

Hello! I just finished laughing at your story--I came here via LuraLynn's blog (and I'm Patrick's cousin, to boot), and I'm glad I did. I just recently apologized to an older couple who were peeking into my car to see my kids, "I'm sorry--we're not homeless, even though it looks like we live in here!"

Kathy said...

i am glad i can entertain people from all over the country :) more fun stories to come! thanks for reading my blog!

aly said...

Just to let you know, I renewed my tag over the weekend. When you posted this, I read it thinking I better get on the ball before I have a similar story. Then you left that note on my chalkboard last week... thanks for the kick in the pants.