Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Anyone for a bucket ride?

I have been quite the slacker lately. Working on rare occasion. I decided to go into work on Saturday for the first time in a while. I was assigned to be a sitter in a room with two elderly women. It is not often that when you are assigned to be a sitter that you are required to watch more than one patient. The report I got from the night sitter was that the lady in BED A was a very calm and nice old lady who was slightly confused and would often try to pull out her IVs and take off her heart monitor. I was sure she wouldn't be much of a problem. The lady in BED B was an entirely different story. She was admitted for psych issues but also had some sort of infection (possibly c-diff , which in itself is an adventure!). This lady had been very combative the night before and cursed like a sailor. She was very irritable and agitated easily. I was in for a ride! Luckily for the first couple hours B Bed was sleeping. I mostly had to keep A Bed busy folding towels and talking about random things to distract her from pulling things off. When B Bed finally woke up she was screaming for someone to help her to the bathroom. It took 3 of us staff people to do the job. This woman absolutely HATED me. Some of the other staff people she had been used to seeing since she had been there for a while. I was a new face and someone she did not trust or like. It took me a good 5 hours to gain her trust and "friendship". She kept asking me, "Why do you just keep sitting there on your butt? Why don't you go and do your job!?" Too bad that was my job for the day! It was hard to keep her calm and from hurting anyone. When I did manage to calm her down I sat her down in a chair by the window so she could see the men doing construction on the building. She became a new person. Calm, sweet, and really funny! Of course none of her stories made any sense. She sat by the window for a while with out saying much, she was practically mesmerized by the crane and the construction. Then out of the blue, she said to me "Are you coming?" I said "Where?" "On the bucket ride of course! It's going to be fun! The men are going to take us in the bucket. If you want to come you need to get ready, they'll be here any time to take us for a ride." At this point she walked over to her bed, put her jacket on over her gown and put on her knit hat. "I don't have a yellow hat (i think she meant a hard hat), but this one will do." I told her I was afraid of heights and needed to stay with the lady in A bed. She sat there until the end of my shift waiting for the crane to come by her window so she could get in for a bucket ride. She invited every staff person who walked in the room along for a ride. It was an interesting day.

No comments: