Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Today could not have been any more ridiculous

It's 1:21 am and instead of sleeping like a sane person would be, I'm blogging about my incredibly awesome day. I hope you can sense the sarcasm in my words. Instead of having the morning off like I thought I did, I woke up at 7:30 and just felt the need to check my schedule one more time. Good thing I did, I had to be into work at 8. I jumped in the shower and rushed out the door. The day was filled with fake injuries of kids that just wanted attention. I was given attitude by a lot of the kids when I told them that I didn't have the supplies they "needed" but could improvise with something similar that would do the same trick. When I gave them the second option they said, "I think I'll be ok." I can't tell you how frustrated I was with kids today. They tried my patience all day. I tried to keep a smile on my face and love in my heart for them, but it was hard. I had a diabetic start crashing this afternoon with a blood sugar of 42. That was scary, but I gave her some OJ and crackers and she was set to go, back up to 94. (for all you non medical people a normal blood sugar is 60-120, 60 being close to problematic). Handled that just fine, deal with that in the hospital settting quite a bit. Something I haven't dealt with too often is separating 140ish urban kids from fighting. I was scared for my life. But I managed, then treated the wounded. Then after that drama, we were setting up for carnival and one of the summer staff got bit by a COPPERHEAD! I kept him calm and cool and rushed him to the thriving city of Jasper where the closest podunk hospital is. It's a good 25 min from camp. He's going to be ok too. But I didn't get home from the hosptial until 12:30. My adrenaline is still pumping from the day. Haven't stopped thinking about how stressful and upsetting the day was. But I should, because its 1:30 and I have to be up for work at 7 am. OH Lord be with me! Amen!

No comments: