Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Did the girl conquer the mountain or did the mountain conqeur the girl?

So it's the end of day 3, week 1, session 1 of urban camp. Let me just say one thing first.. I have never been more exhausted in my life. Campers started arriving at 2pm on Sunday and didn't finish getting here until around 6. I had 4 hours of going through every health form of the 460 kids that are here this week to check for allergies, health conditions, and insurance. OH tons of fun! Urban camps tend to run approximately 15-30 min behind schedule, so when it came to the obstacle course (OC) that was supposed to start right at 10 it didn't begin until 10:30. And when it was supposed to be over at 11 it didn't end until 12:30. It was kind of crazy. Both EMT/Nurses were to be working that night because OC night is known for having a lot of broken bones and sprained ankles. Sunday night, Nate and I were so excited to hear that not even one person reported injuries that evening. I was spreading the great news all night and some more on monday morning at work crew/summer staff breakfast. It wasn't until after camper breakfast that I was oh so wrong! The injuries flooded the infirmary one after the other. From things as simple as a splinter to a possible wrist fracture. Working as camp nurse has been a lot of fun, but definitely tiring. For urban camps they split up all of the activites by guys and girls. Today was the girls hike up SharpTop mountain. It's called SharpTop for a reason. I took 260 girls up the mountain with the help of 2 of the head leaders, a program member and one of the ropes interns (my roommate). It was a hike that would take the average person 1 hour hike up to top and back to the bottom but took us 3 hours to do. I was bringing up the rear with the girls who were struggling. My fight was mostly that I was being called on the radio ever 5 min that another girl was having an "asthma" attack and forgot her inhaler. There actually was one real emmergency that we had to send to the hospital, but she's ok. Anyway, I wasn't planning on writing this much. I'm exhausted and need my beauty rest for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

Oh the joy of leading school kids up SharpTop mountain! Kudos for bringing up the rear with the stragglers, Kathy. That is not something I would be good at. I like how we can rate your blogs as "sick nasty", like, "That blog was sick nasty, yo!"
Anyway, I'm brainstorming a new name for your blog...

Kathy said...

I haven't written too many "sick nasty" blogs lately. I'm sure when I start back in the hospital I'll be able to post a few so you can rate them accordingly.