Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pigs and homemade bombs blow up the camp

This is going to be quite the quick little entry, but let me just tell you how crazy it's been this week. Session 1 ended on Saturday. It was a relief but also SO sad to have to say goodbye to all of the summer staff, work crew and assigned team. The month was full of craziness but we got through it and a part of me misses that craziness. We're in a whole new ball park of craziness for this month. The new summer staff, work crew and assigned team started off this Sunday as well as a whole new week of 424 campers. I was on call Saturday night and worked all the way thru Monday morning. It was the longest shift I've had since I've been here. Tuesday night some high school boys thought it would be a fantastic idea to create and set off a homemade bomb made some how from electrical tape, a coke bottle and some cleaning chemicals. The explosion was so large the fire ball was probably as large as a golf cart. It was so loud that you could hear it for 2-3 miles out. I took of running after hearing and seeing the explosion. I was so scared people had just blown up in the game room and I alone would have to attend to their wounds! Come to find out it was boys being rebels...but it could have been bad. 15 feet from where they set off their bomb was a VERY LARGE propane tank.
I don't know if you're fully aware of the pandemic that's sweeping the country.. but the SWINE is out to get everyone it seems like. There have been 3 different cases at YoungLife camps this summer already! Let's just say we had a pretty large scare tonight. My life was pretty much hell for almost 5 hours! FYI SharpTop does NOT have the swine flu!

No comments: