Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Friday, March 6, 2009

Clean your plate

I forgot to blog about this the other night after it happened, but again, I was caught up in school stuff and didn't have the time most likely. I went to bible study at Papa Ron's on Tuesday night. Every Tues night they have an awesome dinner, then worship then bible study. I was sitting at the table next to two of my friends I hadn't seen or talked to in a while. The one on my right had a whole plate full of food, and commented after having eaten literally 2 bites of bread and 1 of the main course that she was full. Joking around like I typically do, I said "Guuuurl! You better clean yo' plate, there are starvin' children in Africa!" The ironic thing was, the two girls I was sitting between were from Africa. The one I made the comment about was from Zimbabwe the poorest and one of the most sad countries in Africa. The table went completely quiet, then an uproar in laughter at how ridiculous I am for saying something so rude!! I hadn't realized just how offensive I was at first, until the one from Zimbabwe said to me, "Those starving children are my familes." I couldn't seem to apologize enough to keep from feeling such tramendous shame and guilt! My friend from Zimbabwe knew my heart and that my intentions were not to be rude or to hurt her or to offend the people of Zimbabwe. We have spoken many times about how I want to do medcial missions to Zimbabwe and one day work at an orphanage there and adopt all of the starving kids! My other friend from Africa is from Nigeria, she couldn't contain her laughter. I had gotten myself into a deep hole REAL fast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha! nice Kathy, nice!