Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ready for something good to happen.

The last week or so has been real tough at work. Like I said, things have been picking up. Honestly, things aren't anything like what I was trained for or what I expected they would be like. The night nurses don't change dressings for the burn patients. The neuro(back, neck and head) patients are pretty time consuming. The entire month of November I am working with the same group of people. I have quickly made friends at work. I run on coffee. The people I work with enjoy the nights when I drink coffee. They say I'm pretty entertaining and really talkative when I drink it. Two nights ago I came into work with a mess of patients being given to me. I had a TON of stuff to get done in a 3 hour time period. One of my patients was supposed to be transfered to a different floor. It meant that I needed to assess her, give her medications and call report. The 29 yr old had a few issues, but was medically stable when I assessed her. We transported her to her new floor and that was that. I get a call 15 min after transferring her, that the poor woman had flat lined! REALLY?!! Yeah, really. They managed to bring her back, but it just didn't make sense to me. What did I miss? Last night I had a patient (21 yr old male) who was on his call bell all night long. He asked me to give him a sponge bath. He was constantly asking me for things. One time he called me in there telling the clerk he needed me right away. He wanted me to scratch his back/butt (because he was supposed to lie flat in bed and not turn at all). He had a male PCA assigned to his room. He wanted to be "taken care of by a female" because he "enjoys the touch of a female". It was obnoxious! Guess who gave him the sponge bath? NOT ME! The male PCA :). I clocked out at 8am and excitedly rushed to my car to get to bed. When I got to my car it wouldn't start. There was absolutely no power to it. The battery wasn't even 2 years old yet! I had to get it toed to a shop, only to find out it has about 800$ in repairs it needs but i'm only getting about 400$. I suppose I better start looking into new cars. I always wanted a Toyota 4Runner! Just got home at 9:30 and am trying to wind down to go to sleep and prepare for work tonight.

No comments: