Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Saturday, November 14, 2009

I spoke too soon

I don't know what I was doing complaining that my life was too boring and that work wasn't much of work at all. I have had some days(nights) where I go to work and I have soo much time on my hands I get bored. The last 2 nights however, have been nothing but exciting and full of action...maybe too much action. Normally when a nurse comes on to her shift she will get report from the nurse getting off of her shift. This should take about 30 minutes, give or take. Thursday, my shift began with a very crazy shift change. It took me an hour and a half just to receive report. During report, one of my patients fell in her room, while unattended, and hit her head. Let's put it this way- she shouldn't have been getting out of bed for ANY reason. Her little accident set me back another 30 minutes. Another issue I ran into was when I couldn't find one of the nurses I needed to get report from. I looked around the whole floor, only to find that she had gone home for the night with out telling me anything about my patient!! I called the nurse to see if she could give me report over the phone, but she couldn't and had to drive back to the hospital to inform me about her patient. AHHHHhh! What else could go wrong? Well, let me just tell you! One of my patients (not the one who fell) was a 101 years old. Yes! Born in 1908! This poor, poor woman was trying very hard to die on my shift and I wasn't about to let that happen. She made it through the night. Last night however, I had the same group of patients for the most part and had another very hectic night. This time the lady who fell and hit her head- she started having issues that turned into an emergency. I am very thankful that I have a great staff around me to help me though my stressful moments. That's not all... Oh no. I made my first med error. I felt like a complete idiot! It was sort of a pretty big mess up. Patient turned out to be just fine. I am so thankful I have the weekend off to recover from such a crappy two days of work. I hope its refreshing and not draining.

No comments: