Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ready or not, here I go!

Not too much to write about these days. My orientation time is coming to an end this Friday. Next week I start working on my own which is a bit nerve racking for me and my patients! It's a going to be a LOT to adjust to next week; new shift (I'll be starting to work night shift 7p-7a), new patient population, all new nurses(new grads, not just new nurses to get used to),and new management to work under. Luckily the floor won't be changing any. The last month of orientation has been good at trying to get used to where things are but I still have to ask tons of questions. Oh, so I don't cry as much as I used to. When I first started out working, I would cry at work, leaving work and thinking about work. I'm still very unsure of myself and decision to be a nurse a LOT of the times, but my confidence level is somewhat on the rise again. I did however get "fired" by a patient on Saturday. She was absolutely ridiculous! Nothing I could do or say could have changed this crazy woman's attitude or ability to not be a complete tool! When she fired me and told me to get out of her room, I set down the stuff I had in my hands, and walked out with a smile and didn't go back in her room for the rest of the shift. Don't worry, she got taken care of, just not by me. It's nuts how much crap nurses get from people. Nurses go into work daily to help people cope, mourn, heal and return to their normal lives. Nurse burn out doesn't come only from the hard long hours and work loads, but rather the difficult patients that make doing our jobs 10x harder than they should be. HA! Sorry I just needed to vent for a minute! I have noticed the last couple weeks, I absolutely LOVE burn nursing. It fascinates me! Who would have thunk it?

No comments: