Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mr Sun, Sun, Mr Golden Sun, please shine down on me!

You would think someone who lives in Florida would not have a problem getting enough sun. There are so many reasons why God created the sun and here are a few reasons why I've grown to appreciate it a lot more lately:
1. The obvious reason-it gives off light. I have typically been a night person almost all my life, but with my crazy new work schedule with long shifts that start before sunrise and end at sunset, I have really been enjoying the daylight when I can get it.
2. The other obvious reason-it gives of heat. I've been looking forward to cooler weather for quite some time now and we have finally gotten a cool (not cold) front come through Gainesville. I love this time of year when I can turn of the AC and open all the windows. It has been down in the 40's and 50's and it is GLORIOUS! Occasionally the wind will get a little gusty and send chills down my spine. So I, like many others, appreciate when the sun is not hiding behind the clouds.
3. The good UVB rays. My new work schedule might be more demanding than I had anticipated, but lately I have been more fatigued than the norm. There have been many moments in which I will just be sitting, standing or talking and can't seem to stay awake. It's like my body slips into this weird comatose state where shaking me violently (what my roommate has had to do) is the only way to keep me awake. Science lesson! UVB rays are soo important because they help your body produce Vitamin D because it can not make it alone. I haven't been getting my minimum of 15 min of sun exposure a day I suppose thus creating my fatigue.

Outside of all of that, work is good. My social life has been booming the past few weeks. Most people think I'm just busy with work, but I've just been plain busy. My roommate is great at keeping entertained. We spent last weekend in New Orleans/Baton Rouge for the LSU game and some fun. This weekend was homecoming and Lyndsey had an extra ticket to Gator Growl so I attended that with her on Friday night with her family, and went to the game against Arkansas with her on Saturday (most intense game I've been at in a while). After the game we hung out with a bunch of her engineering friends. That's when my hand got shut in the door of a Ford Explorer. When I say shut, I mean the door was latched for a good 20 seconds before someone got the message to open it. It could be broken. If it's still throbbing tomorrow after work I might go down to the ER and get it x-rayed. Never a dull moment around this one.

No comments: