Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pizza Flavored Pretzels

THANK GOD I only have one more week left at the V.A. Hospital. I have complete respect for the men and women who have served this country and was proud to be able to serve them by caring for them and giving them a chance to share their stories with me, but I can honestly tell you I am ready for something new. I don't think I mentioned in my last post about what happened in the elevators on thursday evening. Anne (a fellow student) and I were shadowing down in the CTICU (Cardio Thoracic Intensive Care Unit) and had wheeled a patient up to the floor that our clinicals usually were held each week. We had a few minutes to eat our dinner while we were up there and were evaluated by our instructor. On our way back down to the CTICU I carried a bucket of bite size pizza flavored pretzels and was eating them by the handfulls. A man (employee of some sort) got on the elevator and I offered him a few of my pretzels (being the kind human being that I am). The man says "Oh yes! I would love me a few of 'dem. But my hands are dirty." So thinking that he doesn't want to reach his dirty hands into the bucket of pretzels to contaminate them all- I poured a few out onto the lid and handed him the lid to pour them into his hands. Well really-the man was thinking his hands were too dirty to put into his mouth or touch any food that was going into his mouth (understandable when you work in a hospital and touch weird things). My friend Anne and I were not thinking this at the time. When he took the lid from me he put his mouth over each individual pretzel on the lid and sucked them up like a vaccuum. His lips and spit got ALL over the lid. Anne and I looked at each other in complete wonder! When I got back to the CTICU I sterilized the lid for about 10 min before I put it back on. When we left to go home Anne and I were in the elevator and another employee got on with us. Anne looked at me and under her breath said "DON'T YOU DARE OFFER ANY MORE PRETZELS!". The man in the elevator didn't hear her, but he was confused when I broke out into a loud roar of laughter.

No comments: