Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Monday, October 27, 2008

Check Offs

I had a check-off this afternoon. A check-off just entails the nursing instructors checking us off on the skills we have learned and should be preforming in the clinical setting. This is a lot tougher than it sounds. We get two "cues", or mess-ups before we fail a check off. Today was a little bit different than normal. We had about 6 skills that we could possibly be checked off on and had no idea which one we were going to get until they called our name to go into the room. They are very picky about following every step just how it is on our sheet and doing it the "Santa Fe way" not the half-assed way the nurses teach us to do it in the hospitals. Check-offs make everyone nervous! Sweaty hands, butterflies in your stomach, and sometimes a bit shaky. When they called my name today, I was kind of nervous because I didn't come early to practice in the lab. I ended up getting the easiest of the skills to check off on. I also got the easiest instructor that was doing the checking off. It was easy breezy. One less thing to worry about this week. NPR- CHECK, Skills check-off- CHECK.. Now all I have to do is pass my Renal Exam this Wednesday!

No comments: