Search My Blog for Your Favorite

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

10-5 This is Kathy.

Recently a lot of the staff at work keep asking me, "You are all talk right? You're not really transferring to a different floor or moving to TN/NC are you?" I think it's so great to feel like I really fit in at work. If I were to be working with my night shift staff all the time without all of the management issues I'd consider staying. Joe, my charge nurse and "mentor" has told me recently that he is going to ask our nursing coordinator if he could train me to charge. This is NOT something I want to do. Yes, I would make more money. Yes, I would learn how to do a lot of new things. But, HECK NO! I don't have the experience it takes to be a charge nurse. To know what to do all the time when one of the nurses working the floor freaks out because they don't know what to do. I had my 6 month evaluation last month and my nursing coordinator did ask me to consider becoming a charge nurse. I declined. However, they have had me orienting new nurses to our floor. This is a scary scary thing. I feel bad for the new nurses I am orienting. They have however, given me quite the confidence boost. I have had a lot of people ask me lately how long I have been a nurse. My response to them is often, "How long do you think I've been a nurse?" Many have said they thought I looked too young to be a nurse, and others have said that I seemed so experienced they thought I had been doing it for 3 to 5 years. YIKES! Who knew I was just that good.. not to mention young looking! I'm kidding btw. I have SOO much to learn.

No comments: